The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 in Canada offer a unique opportunity for postdoctoral researchers to pursue their research interests in various fields, including natural sciences, social sciences, health sciences, engineering, and humanities. This prestigious award is highly competitive and provides funding for up to two years of research in Canadian universities or research institutions.
As a leading research fellowship in Canada, the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are an excellent platform for researchers to enhance their academic and professional careers. In this article, we will provide all the essential details about the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 in Canada, including eligibility requirements, application procedures, and deadlines.
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Details
|Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
|20 September 2023
- Canadian citizens
- Permanent residents of Canada
- Foreign citizens
The duration of the Fellowship is two years.
Areas of research:
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering
- Social sciences and/or humanities
No of Fellowship
70 fellowships are awarded annually.
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
For a list of eligible health professions, please see CIHR’s webpage.
To apply for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 in Canada, you will need to provide the following required documents:
- Research proposal: A detailed research proposal that clearly outlines your research objectives, methodology, and expected outcomes.
- Curriculum vitae (CV): A comprehensive CV highlighting your academic qualifications, research experience, publications, and awards.
- Letters of reference: Three letters of reference from recognized experts in your field of research who can evaluate your research potential and academic excellence.
- Institutional letter of endorsement: A letter of endorsement from the host institution where you plan to carry out your research.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts of all academic degrees earned to date.
- Language proficiency: Proof of proficiency in English or French if your primary language is not one of these languages.
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) statement: A statement outlining how you have contributed to promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion in your academic and professional career.
It is essential to submit all the required documents as per the guidelines and instructions provided by the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered for the fellowship.
Eligibility window for degree completion
Applicants to the 2023-24 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree:
- between September 15, 2020 and September 30, 2024 (inclusively), and
- before the start date of their award.
Applicants who have not fulfilled all requirements for their degree at the time of application must submit proof no later than October 15, 2024.
For applicants who have completed more than one PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree, the eligibility window applies to the most recent of these degrees.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are valued at $70,000 (taxable) per year. There are no additional funds provided for travel/research.
The deadline for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 is 20 Sept 2023.
How to Apply:
Eligible and interested candidates can apply online.
An application is completed through the following tasks:
- Confirm eligibility
- Contact your desired host institution/supervisor
- Register for ResearchNet and Canadian Common CV (CCV) accounts
- Create CCV (Vanier-Banting academic template) and link to the ResearchNet application
- Start a ResearchNet application
- Identify an area of research
- Identify participants
- Identify referees
- Enter degree information
- Enter proposal information and supporting documents
- Preview application materials
- Consent and submit application
- Ensure attached documents meet presentation standards